Monday, March 14, 2016

domelang

Date:  March 14, 2016
Area:  Maseru, Lesotho
Companion:  Elder Woodland from Davis, Utah
Week 38

Hey fam!!!!

So yes I have left the country of South Africa and entered into the mountain Kingdom of Lesotho. The language spoken hear is Sotho and you find a lot of people who don't speak English so that tough. I learned a lot of Zulu in my last area where I could greet and ask some questions and some simple demands. I know no Sotho so I feel so lost in the language and communicating with people. It's a beautiful and mountainous place. It does in fact snow here so I am hoping to get the chance to go snow boarding. That's right snow boarding in Africa! Who else can say that?

My new companion is Elder Woodland from Davis Utah. He is a fun guy and we have been getting along really well. We are excited to pick up the work here in Lesotho. I work in an area called Maseru. It's starting to cool down. It is no where near as hot as Toti is right now and it's really dry here and my lips are chapped... eish.......

Missing my families in Toti but already off to a great start here in Lesotho. We started off Friday morning with a cultural day to celebrate Moshoeshoe Day, who is the king of Lesotho I believe. We slaughtered 2 sheep early in the morning so I got some lekker pictures of that. We ate the heart and the men ate the intestine. haha....... ew........ Just about as good as you could imagine which for me wasn't that good haha, we got to be apart of some of the dances and things like that so it was really cool.

The Sotho people are famous for their blankets that they wear all year round, their hats, gum boots, and Shepard sticks. Hopefully I can get some of these traditional items.

The currency is different here so thats cool, it's the same as the rand in terms of economical strength. 

I have to pay to email now which is a bummer but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yay for extra allotment. so in Lesotho things are more expenisve and you maybe get fed once a week.... if you are lucky. So you are on your own breakfast lunch and dinner every day which gets expensive. now we get the same amount of money as the rest of the mission and it just dosn't work, missionaries have been talking to president and it sounds like we should be getting a little extra money from now on... I sure hope so haha.

Well I have been loving this beautiful place and people already!!! oh ya and domelang mean hello!

Till next time, keep on going!
Love
Elder North

No comments:

Post a Comment