Monday, October 5, 2015

Elder Mashava!


Date:  October 5, 2015
Area:  Kimberly, South Africa
Comapnion:  Elder Mashava
Week 15

So this week was the first week with my new companion Elder Mashava. You pronounce the v as if it was b so its sounds like Mashaba. He is from Zimbabwe and has a accent so I have to ask him to repeat what he says sometimes because I don't understand it, but ill get used to it. He is 26 years old and ten months on mission. He is a powerful guy and I think we are going to start having some really good changes in the area as we really focus on getting the members involved in the work. Members are so important, they are like sleeping giants and are way more effective then the actual missionaries. we are temporal and will leave and area in a couple months but the members will always be here so its important to get them involved in becoming friends with the investigators so they don't feel alone at church. Elder Mashava loves to say the word poop. haha so he calls people poop all the time and just says hey you are poop and then says come kiss me or something like that so he is pretty funny. I was talking about how Sundays are my favorite days because I just love going to church now and its something different and I always learn something but then after church its the worst day ever while you are a missionary because it becomes just like every other day. You go out and teach and all you want to do the whole time is take a nap and be lazy. so I have mixed emotions on Sundays. Elder Mashava said that's why its called the best two years, because it sucks #sundays. I don't really get it because it dosn't make sense but it was funny for some reason.

My new companion is Elder Mashava from Zimbabwe. He has a thicker accent so sometimes I don't understand what he says and have to ask him to repeat it. He is 26 years old and has been on mission for 10 months. He has been serving coastal side his whole mission and is looking forward to joining us in outer darkness. He speaks Shona as his native language, he learned Zulu in Durban. Since most Africans speak an African language and English already, it is easy for them to pick up other African languages. We are trying to learn Afrikaans but he is a lot better at it than I am and I've been in the Afrikanns speaking area longer.

So Elder Mashava had this, I guess there is a place in
Durban you can get it but there isn't a place here.

So I hear conference was awesome... sadly I wont get to watch it for about a month until we get the DVD. So that's kind of a bummer as I have been looking forward to it for the past month and a half.  Renlund (one of the new Apostles) was over the South East Africa Mission area so some of the people this side know him. I miss sausage biscuits and pizza and going out after priesthood with dad :/ things you never think your gonna miss till their gone haha, oh well though they say good things come to those who wait so I am sure my experience with conference is going to be way better than all of yours so really who is the one who should be sad? 

Some quotes and thoughts I have heard and had this week that I would like to share...
"Compared to God man is nothing; yet we are everything to God" this is just power and pretty self explanatory. God is all mighty all power and all supreme, we cant even fathom his intellect and knowledge but yet we are the most precious and valuable thing to him. it makes me think of the hymn I stand all amazed. God and Jesus love us so much and this song sums it up better than I can. that they would do so much for such imperfect inadequate and frankly pathetic people that we are competitively to God "
  1. 1. I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
    Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
    I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
    That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
  2. (Chorus)
    Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
    Enough to die for me!
    Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
  3. 2. I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
    To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
    That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
    Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
  4. 3. I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
    Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
    No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
    Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet
  5. what more can I say?
"I know its hard but we like the results" Life is tuff nah? but its worth it! The results being exaltation as we push faithfully through this life and all its challenging ups and downs.

"I love that the gospel makes sense" a member said this and I thought to myself, huh, isnt that just true. haha. If you know me I am a very factual guy, Things have to make sense logically to me, its just how my brain works. Its truly amazing that the gospel makes sense not just spiritually but in every aspect. Its pure, simple and just beautiful!

"Can a women forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget , yet will I not forget thee, Behold I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands" Isaih 49:15-16 this was so powerful when I read it. We are graven upon His hands as those nails were pushed and pierced. He will not forget you, He will not leave you, He will always love you.

"Satan is pushing, we need to push back" If you believe in Christ then buy that belief alone you are mandated to believe that Satan is real. I can tell you he is, and he unlike Christ will forget you, will leave you and place thoughts of doubt, confusion and despair into your mind. Satan is working on us all and we need to fight back, pick up the weapons you have been given, shield yourself with the power of God! you have scriptures, prayer, family, prophets who just spoke to us in conference and with these things you can conquer Satan.




Sorry for such a long email this week but thank you for reading. I pray that you can know for yourselves the authenticity of the gospel that you may know of the Saviors love for you. I am so blessed to have this gospel in my life, to know I am loved, to Know God does live and that He will help guide me. I love this gospel and I love you all and pray for your strength and protection, that you may recognize and feel His love for you.

Love from Africa
Elder North

No comments:

Post a Comment