Monday, August 31, 2015

A good week in Africa

Date: August 31, 2015
Area:  Kimberly, South Africa
Companion:  Elder Jena
Week 10

Its been a pretty good week, I think I have gotten used to the missionary schedule and life now as things don't seem as new and exciting as they did before, the work is still exciting don't get me wrong. 

So Deane our powerful investigator who loves the gospel disappointing me when I thought for sure he was going to show up to church, He knows these things are true but has a long way to go. He has a major addiction to smoking that we need to overcome before we can enter into the waters of baptism, but at the rate we are going that day seems to be nearing never. I just want so badly for our investigators to realize how great and true the message we share really is! I know that through the Gospel we can overcome all the challenges that we face.

Our chapel
Erica another great progressing investigator is struggling leaving her church as she feels she can still do good there but knows that we need the priesthood authority to actually have Gods church. I hope with our constant effort she will be able to overcome her challenges and leave behind the old life as she looks towards God with an eye single to his glory.

We have had some other good lessons but getting people to church is the problem, I'm praying and optimistic that change is coming to Kimberley. 

I had the awesome opportunity to go to Bloemfontein and watch the Bloem Celtics play against the Orlando Pirates! It was cool to go to a professional match, still doesn't beat my home team Real Salt Lake though haha.

Cool lizard on this house.
We had the chance to do a lot of service this week which is nice because it makes you just love the people! I got a complement from a lady while I was working in the garden. Gardens here you use a pitch fork like thing to pull up and break up the ground, its pretty labor intensive so while I was working I ended up forking the whole garden. The Lady then said nah, you cant be from Utah, Utah boys cant work like you do haha. she said I must be from somewhere else to have learned to work that hard without stopping. So that was a nice complement haha.

Missionary work is exhausting, Not due to physical exertion but spiritual exertion. Constantly seeking for personal revelation and divine guidance is exhausting and when you come home you just want to go to bed and morning comes fast. Its definitely the hardest thing I have done thus far in my life. I have learned more than I ever could have back home though. I have learned about myself, people, and God and wouldn't want it any other way. There are still hard days and you miss home and loved ones and all those you left back home, but its so worth it and I know there is still so much more for me to learn and do
That is not water!  That is sewage, the Kasi always
has sewage everywhere!

A couple of weeks ago I talked about a FHE activity to write down what you would write to your family in 30 words or less, (try 20 to get the full effect)

I wrote.."Dear family and loved ones. Love God, Serve All, Love All. SMILE, LAUGH, pray and read often, visit temple frequently, together forever. You are never alone. I love you.

this is what I wrote to my family and loved ones in 30 words or less. it shows what is important to you, what would you want your family to know if you were separated from them for years and only got one last chance to communicate back to them

I love you all and would love to hear from you, Write me letters they are awesome and I will think you are the coolest! 

Love with all my heart might mind and strength!
Elder North
3 nephi 13 
Some pictures of Kimberly from the top
 of a flat we were tracting.
 
SOCCER!  Bloem Celtics vs Orlando Pirates



Saw a Domino's Pizza and almost cried for joy!
We had old popcorn for dinner because we
 ran low on funds, it wasn't very good.
 He would love to hear form you so write him a letter.  It costs $1.15 or an international stamp.
Elder Mikel North
South Africa Durban Mission
PO Box 1741
Wandsbeck 3631
South Africa


No comments:

Post a Comment